Sunday, January 06, 2008

Happy 2008 & Happy Birthday

Best wishes to everyone this new year! We've kicked started 2008 off to a fun start. Well, New Year's eve was pretty mellow, everyone just recovering from colds, so we hunkered down. I resolve to give up diapers and my crib (at least mostly!) this year. I've been trying the potty at least once a day and have been taking about half of my naps in my big boy bed. I'm well on my way! We're feeling better these days... 'cause Grandma Terri and Grandpa Tom came up for a visit! We have had a lovely week with them! I'm on a bit of a hunger strike these days, but Grandma and Grandpa came with all sorts of yummy looking food that Mom and Dad seemed to really enjoy. If anyone can get me to eat... it's Grandma Terri. She knows all of the good food tricks (like adding blueberries to about anything). The rain continues, so we haven't been out nearly as much as we would like, but we've still had lots of time to read books, play with my train and puppets (and train-eating puppets) and to see Portland a little bit. Friday, we headed to the Alberta Street Oyster Bar and Grill, which had great food and nice people who kept me smiling through all of dinner. Looks like a neighborhood with lots of other really good places to eat and arty stores to check out later! Saturday was pretty great... we celebrated my birthday a day early before Grandpa Tom headed back to Fresno (through rain and snow!). In the morning we opened more presents... I got some new dinosaurs to play with and lots of good cold weather gear and springtime clothes, and a cool phlat ball that launches my fingerpuppets from Grandma Terri and Grandpa Tom. Mommy and Daddy made me a stuffed camel (I call him "Two-Bump") and and owl. That afternoon, we got our friends Linda, Matt, Cat, Chris, Benjamin and Barbara all over for a yummy carrot cake celebration! I blew out all two candles myself and joined in singing Happy Birthday! We ate all of my favorite snacks... guacamole, chips, pita, hummus and fruit salad with berries! Barbara brought me an awesome tool set that I have been playing with constantly! Today, Mommy let me open the rest of my presents and I love my heartbreaker pajamas and a new airforce falcons sweatshirt from Uncle Ry! Today we tried a new church in the morning and the whole congregation sang Happy Birthday to me and to another lady in the pews. I played all afternoon, talked with Uncle Ryan, Grandpa Tom, and Caden on the phone. We went for a walk over to Trader Joes, and had a great afternoon. I got to finish more of my cake and actually ate a respectable amount of food for dinner (much to the relief of everyone!). Well, I think this year will be a big'un... lots of growing, lots of fun and getting to know Portland!

No comments: