Sunday, January 13, 2008

A week with Grandma and Exploring Oregon

This week, Daddy headed to Maryland for work, so Grandma Terri extended her visit for five more days to hang out with me and Mommy! Man are we glad she did... she helped us so much and we really appreciate all of her help. Plus I had a great time with her. Monday, Mommy was home with us, so we checked out the indoor playground near us in the morning and found some cool shopping areas in the afternoon. Tuesday was my first day with Grandma on our own, so we really had a great time. I played in my big-boy bed, though was having too much fun to actually sleep there. We went to the store, and drove all over SE Portland. Wednesday was also really great. Grandma and I went to the Zoo! I saw all of the animals (mom usually poops out after one section) and ate a whole hot dog! The monkeys smiled at me and hey... did you know that elephants eat with their noses... it was fascinating! Thursday, Grandma and I watched the garbage trucks go up and down our street in the morning, then we cleaned house, went to the grocery store and played and played. By the time Mom got home, we had made cookies, cleaned the whole house and pooped Grandma Terri out! She could barely get through our game of baby fetch (or as I call it "basketball"). Friday, we all got to hang out again, so we started the day with an excursion to a bakery on Holgate Ave for a delish breakfast and then over to the alphabet district in NE Portland to get some new towels and shower curtain for our bathroom. Grandma Terri took off in the afternoon, but I was asleep in the car when she left. When I woke up, I was worried Mom had forgotten her somewhere and wasn't satisfied that she was okay until I talked with her on the phone. Daddy got home late Friday night and we spent lots of quality Oregon time this weekend. We headed back to the Alphabet district on Saturday to enjoy the fact that it wasn't raining, or misting, or any sort of precipitation whatsoever and that there was even some sky peeking out. We ate at Ken's Artesian Bakery and had some really good pastries and bread, including Mom's favorite... french macaroons and some canelles. Sunday was also pretty great... we went as far north and west as we have so far... yep, a road trip!! We headed out to the coast... finally! I have been missing the coast a lot and ask for the beach or the ocean all the time. We drove through a little bit of snow, some beautiful farm land and some trees, and when I first glimpsed the ocean I just broke out laughing, I was so happy. We stopped at Indian Beach in Ecola State Park and had a great morning on the cobbly beach. The sun was out and there was a bit of mist on the ocean so everything was super bright. It was hard for me to walk on all of those cobbles, but I got the hang of it, and had a great time tossing rocks, writing on them with bits of sand stone, and in the end I picked my favorite one (about the size of my face) and carried it all the way back to the car myself. For lunch, we stopped in at Cannon Beach for a corn dog (I really like these things, even if it makes Mommy wince a bit) and again, ate it all myself. I even shared some lemonade with daddy, though didn't want any of his chowder or crab cakes. We walked around town and down to the beach. Ah... a sandy beach, much more fun to walk on, but not as much to play with, though I was pretty happy drawing in the sand with a stick. It was just nice to be near the water again. After the beach, I was pretty pooped and slept for the drive down to Tillamook. We stopped in at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. I got to see all of the cool gear they use for making cheese... it's a huge operation! We then got to taste cheese (yum) and ate some tillamook ice cream (super yum). I think the ice cream was my favorite part. We just headed home afterwards, and enjoyed finishing up all of our leftovers from when Grandma was here. I had a bubble bath (which I love so much that I started asking for them all throughout the day), and have had so much fun today that it's tough to settle down for bed.

No comments: