Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chestnuts Apples and Salmon

We've had a fun-filled weekend after a kinda rainy week. We've picked up some Chestnuts from Lisa's tree... they're pretty fun, though Mom hasn't exactly figured out how to peel them well yet, but she did make a great preserve out of them. Yesterday we headed to the Home Orchard Society's apple show.... it was pretty awesome given my great love of apples :) I walked right in, took a whole apple of the sample table and was pretty happy for the rest of the morning. After tasting a ton of apples and asking too many questions, mom finally settled on a honeycrisp to replace the bamboo in our backyard. Now to get the darned bamboo out... Cat, Chris and Benjamin joined us and helped us decide. It was really a tough choice, there were tons of varieties available!

That afternoon was a chill one at home. Mostly just hanging out in the backyard, checking out the fish that Daddy caught, fishing a little on my own (look at that amazing windsock fish I caught!) and making Grandma Terri's Green Chicken Enchiladas. We got a ton of awesome tomatillos from our CSA and this is the perfect recipe for tomatillos. Today we headed to the Salmon Festival at Oxbow park. I got to hang out with T. Chris and Cat again! It was the perfect sort of event... just the right number of people, lots of things to see in the tent...lots of games for me to play and prizes to win. Then a nice trail walk to see the salmon swimming and spawning in the river. Mom and I got to borrow these groovy "salmon viewing" (polarized) glasses so we could see through the water better. You could see the redds and the fish pretty well. I got to do some fish printing, a native american dance and touch a bunch of dead salmon. Really, pretty awesome (and slimy). Oh and a quick horsey ride! At the end of the day, I also tried on some neat animal costumes and went fishin for a whale! I figured out the zipper and nearly deflated the big guy... I took it as a successful "fishing" trip ("I got the whale!!")

No comments: