Sunday, February 20, 2011

New York Ice Fishing Trip Part 1


Dad and I flew out to New York to visit Grandma and Grandpa Steves and we were hoping to do some ice fishing while we were out there. However, when we landed in New York on Friday night it was really warm (mid-50's) and we were a little worried the ice would have melted. Luckily for us there was already a lot of ice and one really warm day wasn't going to melt much of it.

On Saturday we got up hoping to go fishing, the temperature had dropped to 20ºF but the winds were 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph so we stayed home. I did go outside for a few
minutes to check out the huge snow pile but it was really cold out.


My cheeks were pretty rosy when I came inside.

Finally on Sunday the weather was good for ice fishing. It was cold enough for the ice, the wind had died right down and the sun even came out for a little while.


Oh and best of all we caught some fish.


At least three of these fish are mine. To answer your question...yes, I did have warm mittens I just didn't like waring them sometimes.

One the way back in I checked out some interesting ice over on the Lake Ontario side of things. The protected bay we fished on had about 18 inches of ice while Lake Ontario only had some ice near shore and was otherwise ice free.

Were supposed to get a lot of snow tonight so we'll see if we can get back out fishing tomorrow. We have a few more days here and I really want to catch some more fish before we have to leave.





No comments: