Sunday, March 20, 2011

to the sea

This weekend we got out of town for a few days. There has been so much going on in the world that it was also an opportunity to unplug for a bit and appreciate some family time while sending our hope and prayers to those in japan, in libya, throughout the world.
We headed out to Cape Disappointment and got a yurt!
We had a quick stop in Astoria for lunch at the brewery before heading over towards Ilwaco. My folks were excited about the yurt... I was thrilled about the bunk beds... I got the whole top bunk to myself and found EVERY excuse in the book to go up and down the ladder. It was a bit rainy and we were off to a bumpy start by forgetting a few key ingredients for dinner and Dad's raincoat (important considering how much it was raining!). We handled the rain by getting cozy in the Yurt, I made a map of the area, Dad and Grace worked on some Ukulele tunes. We mostly ran wild in a confined space. To deal with dinner we started with a quick visit to waikiki (again... don't let the name fool you) beach before we headed into town to grab some seafood. By the time we returned the rain had lightened up enough to check out the beach.

Mom, Grace and I headed down while Dad lit the campfire... essential for smores! It sure was fun to finally get back to the beach, It was pretty awesome loads of drift wood, dark sand, wide open places to run, trees to climb... the works. When we got back I got to toast my own marshmellows for the first time, which was pretty awesome. Aaaahhhh my favorite... smores... Love em.
Today we enjoyed more of the awesome beachy goodness,
followed by a nice hike out to the lighthouse
and to the interpretative center where we learned all about Lewis and Clark.
I wanted to be a good explorer
and stop a lot and study things,
but mostly ran like a maniac around the trails...
maybe the sugar from the smores managed to stay in my system overnight. I was actually super helpful this weekend, Grace loves it when I carry her and
I have been nice about helping her with her boots, whatever she needs.


1 comment:

James said...

Looks like such a fun trip! I love your binocs, Owen - I'll bring my identical ones when we come to CA so that you and I can do lots of exploring...
Love, James