Sunday, September 11, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

Okay folks, this is a big one... this has been my last week of summer vacation and my very first day of school ever! HELLO Kindergarten! I was pretty nervous to be honest.
We had one more item on my summer bucket list to do before heading back to school though, so Monday we packed a nice picnic at the park.
There... (Zoo... check, Picnic (not at the same time as the others...done), Beach... check) I was probably ready now. I had an assessment and a meeting with my teacher on Tuesday.
We practiced riding bikes to school, Dad hung with Grace while Mom and I went into the school and I answered a bunch of questions about letters and numbers, learned that my big Kindergarten class was split into two small classes (YAY!) and headed down the hall to meet my teacher Mrs. C. She was awesome!
By the time all of this checking out the classrooms, the teachers, the library, the halls was over I told Mom "I was really nervous, but this isn't going to be just good, it is going to be great!!"
So, you could say everything went well. To celebrate, Mom took us downtown to play at Jamison Fountain for the afternoon. We had a great time, though had to leave a touch early as a result of some unbecoming behavior on my part. Friday was the first real day of school for me though, so we had a few more days to enjoy. Wednesday we headed to the park again and met up with all sorts of neighborhood kids and kindergarteners, as well as Pearl, who will be in Mrs. C's class with me (we're locker buddies and sit next to each-other!). It was so great to be able to hang out with a bunch of kids in the same boat as myself. Grace and I had a great day playing until we were worn out (and Mom was hungry). One more day of summer vacation... to mark the occasion, Mom took us to OMSI. It has been ages since we've been. Grace loved the sand-pit and the art area, but was getting tired just as I made some new friends. I LOVE OMSI and was so thrilled to be able to spend the morning running around there. That evening we went up to Mississippi to have dinner at little big burger (super yum) and some ruby jewel ice-cream (double super yum)... what an exciting send-off to summer vacation. Finally, really what you've been waiting for... the first day... ever... of kindergarten. I'll say it went well... smooth, Mom didn't cry (in front of me). Rode to school with Dad and got to use the bike lanes for the first time ever. Got in on-time... major accomplishment, put my bag in my locker, found my seat, and got my first assignment... practicing my numbers ... I did great. Mom picked me up in the afternoon and I reported that I got the "hot lunch" and ate an apricot, carrots, yogurt, and a chocolate milk... but didn't finish the yogurt or chocolate milk (shock) 'cause you have to eat really fast and I didn't have time. Then we checked out the play equipment, took a good tour of the school to see where everything was, I reported that during recess, I just ran around after Pearl. All in all a pretty cool day. We checked out the Y afterschool program, looked a little chaotic, but I think things will get together soon. That evening we celebrated with a green pizza (pesto with fresh tomatoes... my favorite) and Alice, Henry and their folks and Dad and Chris brewed a beer. We relaxed a bit on Saturday, Friday totally wore everyone out, but we broke-in the new (to us) bike carrier Mom found at the consignment store... now Grace and Dad can bike with me to school once Mom goes back to work! We hung around home and Mom went to the fabric store. Today though, we got to celebrate Alex's first birthday! Pretty awesome! I had a blast running around their yard and playing with the chalk and scooters. After we got Grace down for a nap, Mom and I met J. and V. for gelato and a doughnut. It was so nice to see my friends who I have been asking about a lot lately, but again I used up my good behavior earlier in the day and kinda broke down on our walk. Pshew. Spent a quiet rest of the afternoon cleaning out my room, playing outside, eating huckleberries. (tart huckleberries). Seriously, loads of fun, great new adventures... can't wait!

Happy Birthday Grandma Steves! We miss you!

1 comment:

James said...

Wow - you get to go to "big kid" school? Nice! Looks like you're going to have lots and lots of fun. I'll be anxious to get tips from you before I start next year. (And Mom will probably need even more help than me!)
Love, James