Sunday, June 28, 2015

blueberries


To start things off, I am very excited to report that I just beat Dad at chess for the very first time.  The tables are turning!  I joined Grace at YART camp this week, well, we were on the same campus and I took the pottery class for the week, and got to use the wheel and play with a lot of clay!  It turned out to be a pretty cool week, though I have not brought home any of my creations yet.  Pictures when they come!

We also enjoyed a great dinner with our pals, it is always fun to have them over...

Joaquin and I pretty much hunkered down in my room with a big pile of leggos and G and E enjoyed the new big ol' dollhouse that Mom and I picked up this week.

This weekend, we immersed ourselves in an embarrassment of blueberries.  We woke up early to beat the anticipated heat and arrived at Anne Jones Blueberry Farm on Sauvie Island.  We totally recommend this place, unless you get there before us and pick all of their magnificent blueberries.

It was awesome, the blueberry bushes are bursting (still are if you can go!).

We picked 34lbs... 34lbs in about an hour!!!  Mom was getting a little obsessed and failed to see that with all of us picking, it went pretty quickly.  We were done by the time the sun hit the little valley so it was very comfortable picking too. My only complaint was that the family parked itself right by the predatory bird call speaker that was screeching periodically (didn't really bother anyone else)

It's maybe enough to get us through this year.  We are still freezing batches, made blueberry muffins and are stuffing our faces by the fistfull.  After we filled our giant cooler with berries, we headed towards the coast (again... I know but its summer!)  We went to Haystack Rock this time to check out the tide pools.  First we ate lunch at Mo's which fit everyone's perfect coastal meal with clam chowder, fish-n-chips and... big treat for G and Me... root beer floats!

 and for me... an oyster shooter. I did it with grace, but I think Mom enjoyed hers a lot more than I enjoyed mine.
 Finally after we had our fill we walked down to the beach and over to haystack Rock.  There were a lot of jellies and some ctenophores washed up, and we had a great time collecting them and dropping them into pools so we could see them (well, mostly we liked collecting them).


 As soon as Dad put out the beach blanket, we got down to business... digging holes.
 Very deep holes, caverns practically as we hit the waterline and it would erode a nice cave about 1' under the surface.
 Grace put her feet in hers and had Dad make her a mermaid tail.
 and when I wasn't poking around the tidepools or picking up all of the flotsam on the beach, I looked mostly like this.....
 you know, digging.  People would stop... worried/in wonder at the depth of my hole.
 it was a beautiful day to spend at the beach!



 It is really pretty hard to go wrong with a day at the beach.
 We did not stay too late because we had blueberries to wash and freeze... lots and lots.
Today was mellower, but we still managed to get Dad to visit a lot of Garage sales after a church lunch picnic (that we walked to... quite a ways in the heat/humidity).  I successfully found a small tape recorder ... with 3 tapes!  I really am loving yard sales.  Grandpa Steves, we must go exploring when you come to visit!!  After Mom got home from Yoga, we heard the great news that her cousin Patrick was in town and he stopped over for the afternoon with his friend.  It was fun to catch-up, as they hadn't really seen eachother for almost 7 years!  Mom experimented with canning some blueberries in raspberry liquor (taste good, a bit mushier than she wanted), and then the folks surprised us with a movie.  We saw Inside-out which this is my review "it was okay, better than I expected it to be"   =  glowing for me!

1 comment:

Matthew Bracken said...

Wow! What a perfect Oregon summer.